The Library of the Zoltán Kodály Pedagogical Institute of Music is in the new building and serves research and study needs of the Institute, provides scores covering a wide range of periods and genres, a rich collection of choral music, books in Hungarian and foreign languages, music periodicals in Hungarian and foreign languages and audiovisual documents.
The music pedagogical Archives is located in the old building and is devoted to the collection and study of documents concerning Hungarian music teaching and the work of Zoltán Kodály. It contains books, scores, records and thousands of other documents such as doctoral theses, newspaper articles, interviews, photos and concert programs. It includes a large amount of material (books, curricula and syllabuses) on the practical application of the Kodály concept abroad. This material is increasingly helpful in international music pedagogical research. As special collections the Archives safeguards donations from great musicians and music pedagogues from Hungary and abroad.
Adjacent to the Library is the Institute's sound and video recording Studio. In 2001 the Kodály Institute was the recipient of the prestigious "Japanese Cultural Aid" award. The award consists of a complete digital audiovisual equipment and musical instruments (2 Yamaha grand concert pianos). This high standard equipment enables the Institute to make digital sound and video recordings of concerts, conferences, documentary and methodology films. For information about services and the prices of the Studio please contact us: email@example.com.
Criteria for joining the Library of the Kodály Zoltán Pedagogical Institute of Music
adult Hungarian citizens with liability, whose
jobs or studies involved with music.
Registration fee is 1100 HUF for a year. The membership and registration include recording the users personal data and issuing the uniform library card which is necessery for borrowing and not transferable. The member should take responsibility for expenses caused by losing the membership card. The replacement card costs 100 HUF.
Members can use the Archives, too, without additional fee.
The registration is free of charge for the employees of the Institute, and they automatically become members of the Library of the Ferenc Liszt Academy of Music as well.
There is no registration fee for the students of the Institute, the additional supplies contain it for their stay.
Participants of the seminars and courses become members of the Library without registration process, their membership is valid during for the term of the seminar/course.
Non-registered visitors can use the Library with a daily-ticket which costs 250 HUF/day.
Free services for members and visitors with daily-ticket:
- visiting the Library, the Archives and the Studio
groups at previously arranged time;
- asking information;
- reading journals
issues of the actual year are in the Library, the previous ones are at the Archives;
- using the catalogues (paper cards, electronic);
- listening music;
- use every document in the Library and the Archives in the reading rooms;
- photocopying (according to the copyright rules), spiral-binding and thermo binding can be ordered, the prices are set by the regulations for "Service fees of the Zoltán Kodály Pedagogical Institute of Music".
Claimable services with registration:
- lending books for 2 weeks. After one week, the fines for late return are: 10 HUF/day, elongation is possible;
students of the Institute can borrow books and scores for the whole academic year (part-time students until their departure);
lost documents should be replaced with a same or a newer edition by the user, in case of unobtainability the value of the book should be paid;
complete editions, handbooks and journals can only be used in the Library;
documents of the Archives cannot be be borrowed;
- lending audivisual documents;
CDs, DVDs and videotapes can be borrowed for the classes or for the weekend after it has been discussed with the librarians. Fines for late return are: 100 HUF/day/document;
- literary research;
- use of copy machine (only for the teachers, students and employees of the Institute, visitors can order photocopying at the Library);
- use the Library of the Liszt Academy;
- interlibrary loan;
this service of the Library is free of charge, but the fee set by the sender library (if there is) should be paid by the user;
- use the computer in the Library and in the Archives (finding information on the web, searching databases, catalogues).
- please, do not enter the Library in coat and with big bags;
there isn't a cloackroom at the Library, but there is a place for coats and bags in the building;
- please, do not disturb with your behaviour other people in there work;
- please do not cause demage to the document and the equipment of the Library;
- use of mobile phone is prohibited.